by Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent #1
Release date: 3rd May, 2011
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 487 (hardback copy bought by me)
Next book: Insurgent (1st May, 2012)
Summary from Goodreads:
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtueshe can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really areand where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves... or it might destroy her.
Review By Alaiel Kreuz:
Beatrice knows that soon she will have to face the most important part of her life: she will have to choose a faction. The aptitude test will tell her which one suits her better but, at the end, she will take the final decision... Is she ready to do it?
Her options are Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful) and Erudite (the intelligent).
Right now her whole family is in Abnegation and they assume she'll stay there, with them. Who wouldn't?! She has being raised to think first about other people, to be patient and to never want anything besides the necessary. The only problem is she is not happy.
And when her aptitude test reveals her a secret that could put her life in the line Beatrice will realize her future is in her hands.
In that moment Beatrice will become Tris and a new chapter of her life will begin. Now the only problem is: who is friend and who is foe?
Since Insurgent, the second book of the Divergent series, is coming out very soon I thought that writing a review about this amazing book might give a little push to the ones that haven't read Divergent. So, shall we begin?
Reasons why you will love Divergent:
- Tris is an amazing kick-ass heroine. Yep, no doubt about that. Through the whole book we'll see her evolve non-stop but, above all, she won't disappoint you. When things start to get complicated and dangerous she will face everything with a strength that will be the envy of most people around her.
- The whole concept of Divergent is refreshing and unique. This is a very different dystopyan book, people, trust me here. The idea of dividing the population taking in consideration their abilities and virtues is so cool that you will want to take an aptitude test yourself. (Which right now you can do HERE!)
- Don't drink coffee or energy drinks while reading this book unless you are about to fall asleep in the middle of an "O-M-G" scene... which will happen very often. Your heartbeat will increase, you will be sweating a lot and your lungs will need oxygen so remember to keep breathing. This is a very important thing so don't forget it!
- Although this book is full of action and drama there's also space for love and those scenes are very special. Four will make you smile every time. And Tris will make you laugh. The perfect combination, right?! :]
- When you reach the ending you will be happy to know that the next book is coming out very soon... lucky you!
Reasons why you will hate Divergent:
- Honestly? I can't think of any. Sorry.
So, if you haven't read this book yet I encourage you to press those buttons below the cheeses and check the prices of the book. And then you can go to your local bookstore or library and grab it ;)